Saturday, April 14, 2012

Thrifted Finds: Clothing Edition

Silky blouse from Buffalo Exchange and 60's or 70's glasses from France
Retro stripe top from Buffalo Exchange and Banana Republic shoes from Goodwill

Dotty top with tulip pockets from Buffalo Exchange and headband from Forever 21


I was in college before I found the joy of thrifted clothing and accessories. I am honestly sad I was so late to the party. As time has passed I have found some truly great things from thrifty locations- Buffalo Exchange, Crossroads, and Goodwill to name a few favorites. A questions arises however, "How does one revel in the joy of a trusty thrifty find without going overboard?" You know you've done it too. We buy things that are cheap because they were "kinda cute" and ... well.. cheap. What happens to those items? They sit in the closet and gather dust until they become re-thrifted. Here are three tips I use when I go thrifting that help me find the perfect balance. 1. I have to LOVE it. I have come to realize no matter how well-intentioned I am, if I don't gasp when I see the shiny new object, it will be a dud. Every single item I have done a happy dance over has become a new staple that I love and get tons of complements on.  2. Stick to quality. I am pretty picky about my picks. I like to stick to real cotton and silk as much as possible- rayon is fine too- keep polyesters and knits to a minimum if you can. 3. I always make sure I have at least three pieces I can wear with the new one. I do this for new clothing too! I don't mean matchy match, but it does need to GO with things I own. This keeps me from getting so eclectic that I have trouble finding things to wear in my own closet.  All that being said, here are examples of my best thrift store finds. Hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I like your blog too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...very cute finds, I love them all. It would be fun to see how you style it! The dotty top is especially adorable! Hurray for thrifting! Thanks for dropping by, following too.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I bet you would have so many ideas for some of the things I have found that wouldn't even cross my mind :D

      Delete